A few months back, I spent several weeks looking for a piece of equipment that embodies a full and intense workout that’s ideal for athletes in high impact sports, most notably boxing and MMA.
It had to meet several criteria’s: Quality, functionality and value. Since I purchased their Max XT 142lbs set, I found Bodylastics’ Resistance Bands to not only meet those criteria’s, but surpass them. To give you a very brief overview of what Bodylastics is all about, here are some main points.
- High Quality System: Their resistance bands are made from the highest quality materials as a result of continuous improvement since its release. It has a patented D.G.S technology, designed for preventing the elastic from snapping, something that often happens to many other similar but lesser products.
- Ideal for Any Athlete: The system is so flexible that it can be used to replicate any type of movement that occurs in the gym and in any real life sports. They’re even used by the US Military Arm, Navy, Air Force and Marines.
- Suits Any Purpose: Whether your goal is to build muscle strength or to lose weight, you can simply achieve it by incorporating a series of specific workouts that cater to your goal. The training is actually more difficult than it looks. For a more rigorous workout, just move up a color band in accordance to your strength level.
Overview of Bodylastics Resistance Bands
- Been Around Since 1998: The Bodylastics Resistance Bands was invented by Blake Kassel, a strength and resistance enthusiast (since 11 years old) turned trainer. He’s tried all different kinds of methods from free weights to Bowflex to weight machines, so it’s fair to say he knows his stuff.
- Different Products for Different Goals: There are different sets available depending on your desired goal. I personally have the Max Tension XT (142lbs) which is enough for me since I only weigh around 147lbs and my focus is boxing training. However, it does range from Basic Tension (58lbs) through to S.H.S Resistance (Super Human Strength 404lbs).
- Ideal for Any Sport: It doesn’t matter whether your sport is Baseball, Football, Boxing or MMA. The Bodylastics Resistance Bands can achieve any type of motion specific to these sports.
- Work on Specific Muscle Groups: It caters to all muscle groups, whether you want to work on your abdominals to get a six-pack or strengthen your leg muscles to increase your punching power.
- Easy on Joints, Tough on Muscles: If you’ve ever done free weights before, you should know the feeling of pain in your joints as a result of the momentum from the weights. Bodylastics Resistance Bands provide highly effective resistance without these problems.
- Portability / Home Use: One of the best thing about the Bodylastics Resistance Bands is that you can take it anywhere with you. Not only that, but you can bring the gym to your home.
- Save Money: A gym membership can cost you anywhere from $40 – $100 each month. You only have to spend that amount once on the Bodylastics Resistance Bands and you can do at home most of what you can do in the gym. It’s really a no brainer.
- Perform the Exact Same Exercises Seen in the Gym: According to Bodylastics, their resistance bands can recreate over 140 of the best gym exercises from the best equipped health clubs and gyms. I cannot verify this, but one thing is for sure, the number of exercises is only limited to your imagination.
- Simple Weight Loss: Losing weight and getting in shape is hard work. Fortunately, Bodylastics have created a series of workouts designed to burn calories and fat, and also to tone up at the same time. Many of these shows are free to view on liveexercise.com.
- High Quality Materials: I believe that Bodylastics Resistance Bands have the best quality equipment in their field. This is only made possible by feedback from customers and continuous improvement ever since 1998. Their bands don’t snap due to their patented D.G.S Technology and more latex for more resistance, and their large clips are made from aluminum.
What You Get
With every Bodylastics Resistance Bands system, you get the following (amount depends on what system you choose):
- D.G.S Anti-Snap Resistance Bands
- Heavy Duty Foam Covered Handles
- Heavy Duty Ankle Straps
- Heavy Duty Door Anchor (for exercises requiring a door)
- Workouts DVD with Digital User Manual
- Storage / Travel Bag
- Free Trial to Liveexercise
- Lifetime Warranty
How Does Bodylastics Stack up to the Competition?
You’re probably thinking what makes Bodylastics’ Resistance Bands different from others on the market. Here are the main reasons:
- Better Materials: The resistance bands are much sturdier as they incorporate more latex and a super strong nylon cord inside (D.G.S Technology). The handles are made from the strongest plastic, injected Nylon. The clips are larger and made from aluminium. I could go on, but for a more comprehensive comparison click here.
- Three Guarantees: Bodylastics must be really confident to offer three guarantees. 100% satisfaction, 6-week visible results and lifetime warranty. If their product doesn’t live up to its name, they’ll give you your money back.
- Free Access to Liveexercise.com: With every purchase, you get either 3 or 6 months access to their online training program, depending on what set you buy. There’s literally thousands of live and on demand exercises available for a variety of sports and goals.
It’s quite obvious when you compared Bodylastics Resistance Bands to others to see which is better in terms of build quality. I haven’t used many others but the few that I have used, they work fairly well initially but become worn out after a couple months of frequent use.
Bodylastics Resistance Bands are intended to last many years, and only time will tell if they will, but so far they’re living up to their reputation.
How Does it Relate to Combat Sports?
I must stress that when it comes to boxing and MMA (and probably for all other sports also) any type of resistance bands does not replace your other parts of training such as roadwork. It simply complements it.
More and more strength and conditioning coaches are putting more focus on resistance bands because of its effectiveness. You may have seen the well documented training programs of Alex Ariza (former S&C coach for Manny Pacquiao & Amir Khan),
where he implements a resistance training program. The facts are:
- Simulate Combat Movements: Resistance bands can simulate exact punching and kicking movements with increased strength and minimal injury compared to free weights and machines.
- Develop Speed and Power: In any type of combat, your goal during training is to develop excellent speed and power, which is more achievable with resistance bands due to being more flexible and dynamic.
- More Effective Than Machines: As the elastic stretches, it becomes more difficult and adds more stress and tension to your muscles, making them adapt in strength and shape better.
- Increase Balance and Co-ordination: Because of the tension throughout the exercises, you’re forced to stabilize your body and as a result, it works your other muscle groups also.
Rashad Evans (former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion) has also demonstrated a variety of combat related exercises using Bodylastics Resistance Bands, as seen above.
In a Nutshell
I don’t review products that I wouldn’t recommend or that I haven’t used myself. The only issue I have with Bodylastics Resistance Bands (and it’s a relatively minor one) is that the travel bag that’s included is quite small. Although it fits everything in the bag, it’s a tight squeeze.
Other than that, I cannot rate the Bodylastics Resistance Bands highly enough. The main reasons being that they provide you with a full body workout that are very specific to any given sport and purpose.
Add to the fact that they’re extremely affordable, it’s really a piece of equipment you need to invest in if you want to become a better athlete.
To get the most out of your training, I highly recommend the following top-rated boxing training guides:
► Advanced Boxing Workshop Course (improve balance, footwork and punching power)
► How To Box In 10 Days Course (quickly learn all the boxing fundamentals)
► The 30 Day Fighters Diet (make weight while retaining strength, speed and power)
► Top 10 Best Heavy Punching Bags
► Top 10 Best Boxing Gloves